Australians are opting for the nostalgia of vinyl when it comes to buying music, with three times as many records bought on site as CDs since December of 2017. More than half of the top ten best-selling records were first released before the turn of the century and only two of the top ten were released this decade.
Pop legends the Beatles take the number one spot and Nirvana features twice on the top ten best-selling records list. Other artists to appear are the White Stripes, Amy Winehouse, David Bowie, Pearl Jam and home grown, Tame Impala.
The top ten records based on sales on amazon.com.au since launch in December 2017, are:
1. Abbey Road, the Beatles (1969)
2. Back To Black, Amy Winehouse (2006)
3. Elephant, The White Stripes (2003)
4. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac (1977)
5. Currents, Tame Impala (2015) (AUS)
6. MTV Unplugged in New York, Nirvana (1994)
7. A Deeper Understanding, The War on Drugs (2017)
8. Nevermind, Nirvana (1991)
9. Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & Spiders From Mars, David Bowie (1972)
10. Ten (Legacy Edition), Pearl Jam (1991)
“It is interesting to see that Australians are opting for records over CDs, and indeed predominantly records that would be categorised as nostalgic,” said Alvaro Prieto, our Head of Media. “Whether chosen for quality of sound or because of the hipster trend to opt for vinyl, we are pleased to see the continuing popularity of vinyl.”
Customers can enjoy free delivery on eligible orders above $49 that are shipped by Amazon AU. A one-day delivery service is available in select areas across Australia.