This week we launched over 400 new skills, suitable for children, into the Australia and New Zealand Alexa skill store. These skills will deliver experiences that mix learning with fun, bringing iconic brands to Alexa alongside some of kids’ favourite characters.
To start exploring simply ask “Alexa, what are your kid skills?” or you can try out some of our Alexa team favourites listed below – tried and tested at home with their families. Please note, to access kid skills, parents will need to activate the “Allow Kids Skills” toggle under Settings/Kid Skills via the Alexa app.
1. Kinderling Kid News: Kids can enjoy their daily news update from Groovy Ruby – expect fun facts, games and more. You can add the skill to your daily flash briefing so that kids can access their Kinderling news by asking “Alexa, what’s the news?”
2. Bedtime Explorers: Each Bedtime Explorer episode invites children on an imaginative guided meditative journey, teaching them easy-to-learn meditation techniques that they can use to fall asleep, or to just relax when the big things in life pile up on the little people we love. To get started just say “Alexa, open Bedtime Explorers.”
3. SpongeBob Challenge (AU only): A memory game where children will take on the role of a new Krusty Krab employee tasked with remembering increasingly complicated food orders and relaying them to other staff members who include SpongeBob, Squidward and Mr. Krabs. Test your family memory with Alexa, just say “Alexa, start the SpongeBob challenge.”
4. Amazon Storytime: Hosting a collection of professionally narrated short stories for kids aged 5-12, you can tune in at any time to hear your family story of choice via this skill from the Amazon education team. To get started just say “Alexa, ask Amazon Storytime to read me a story.”
5. Lemonade Stand: Children can earn badges through successfully managing their very own Lemonade Stand with this skill. The game focuses on skills such as careful listening, maths, and business. It can be played by children with their parents or in a classroom environment. To play the game just say ‘Alexa, open Lemonade Stand.”
6. LEGO® DUPLO® Stories: This skill provides an interactive storytelling experience that combines physical play with Alexa. Together with their parents, toddlers can choose between 10 LEGO DUPLO Stories themes—five vehicle or five animal stories—and define the route of the story, while guided by Alexa. To play along, just say “Alexa, start LEGO DUPLO Stories.”
7. PAC-MAN™ STORIES: A fun and educational ‘choose your own adventure’ experience in which customers of all ages have to make the right moral choices to complete each adventure set on PAC-MAN Planet. They can engage with PAC-MAN and other characters in several fully interactive stories. If you are ready to team up with PAC-MAN just say, “Alexa, launch PAC-MAN Stories.”
8. Sesame Street - Elmo: When kids ask “Alexa, open Sesame Street” they will be able to speak directly to their furry red friend, Elmo. The family can interact with Elmo by asking about the letter of the day, playing hide and seek and more. The Sesame Street skill encourages children to engage in imaginative play, learn new words, and just be giggly together with the voice of a familiar, fun-loving friend. Get chatting with Elmo today!
9. Moshi Twilight: Made for kids and loved by parents, Moshi Twilight Sleep Stories help settle little listeners at bedtime. Featuring surreal stories with dreamy melodies and calming narration, guided relaxations and soothing sounds. To make bedtime a dream, just say “Alexa, open Moshi Twilight.”
10. Amazon Math: An easy and fun way for children to practice maths. Kids can choose the appropriate level and different topics, including addition, multiplication, rounding and more! Alexa can keep track of scores and progress, increase and decrease difficulty as needed and celebrates when your kids reach their goals. To get started say “Alexa, start Amazon Math.”